Leanplum allows you to easily preview messages on your test devices before setting the message live. This is recommended prior to activating any campaigns for your production audience. To preview a message, do the following:
- Be sure you have registered your test device.
- Navigate to the message you would like to preview.
- Click the Send Preview button below the preview phone in the message dashboard at any time to immediately view this message on your registered developer devices. This will send the preview to all devices shared by your user id.
For example, if you have logged in on multiple devices in the past, Leanplum will send the preview to all of them.
Users running a build with a development key and registered test device can preview all types of messages — these previews will not create send events. Note that you'll have to have the app open to preview in-app messages. Users running a build with a production key and registered test device can preview only push notifications and email.
We recommend QAing all messages prior to activation. Here is one way to ensure your message is set up as you intended:
- Create a Saved segment for any members of your team that will help QA messages. You can use user Ids or the user attribute for email to add users to the segment.
- Navigate to the message you would like to QA.
- Check to make sure the message type, targets, delivery options, and custom options (message copy, open action, etc.) are set to your liking.
- Under targets, add the Saved Segment.
- Click Send Now for a push or Start for an in-app message.
- Your QA team in the Saved Segment should receive the message when they meet the delivery criteria.
- Confirm that you are satisfied with the timing and appearance of the message on your device.
When you are ready to send the message to your actual users, simply remove the Saved Segment and update the targeting criteria. If you want to QA your targeting criteria, click on the Users link that appears to the right of the Targets section. You should see a list of all users that are currently eligible for that campaign.
If you have any questions on best practices for QAing your messages, please reach out to [email protected].
If you have a triggered message that is unpublished or paused with unpublished changes, you'll see another option below Send Preview: "Active for test devices."
- If checked, your unpublished changes will be sent as the preview (when its trigger occurs).
- If unchecked, the published changes (previous version) will be sent (when its trigger occurs).
The Active for test devices only appears for messages with a triggered delivery (i.e. triggered email, app inbox, push, and all in-app messages). Scheduled and immediate messages can only be previewed with the "Send Preview" command.
Remember: You must complete the trigger (that you set) to see the preview of a triggered message.
Updated about a year ago