Before you can send your first email campaign, there are a few things you need to set up.
Email is an add-on feature that must be activated before you can get started. Contact your CSM if you'd like to enable email.
After enabling email, your company will be provisioned a dedicated IP address based on an email onboarding questionnaire provided by your CSM. Leanplum will send you records for your domain name (DNS) configuration to authorize our ESP to send email on behalf of your sending domain. Don’t worry. Your customer success manager will work with you through this process, which typically takes several business days.
To check whether Email is enabled on your account:
- In the dashboard, select your name in the top right and click “App settings.”
- Click Keys & Settings for your app.
- Click Email.
Leanplum sets defaults for you, but we encourage you to check them before getting started. You can also override the defaults in the Message Composer whenever you create or edit an email message.
Under App settings > Keys & Settings > Email, you should see the following:
- “From” address: the email address users will see as the sender. Defaults to “email@example.com”
- “From” name: the name users will see as the sender. Defaults to blank.
- Email user attribute: the user attribute where you are storing the user’s email address. Defaults to ‘email’ (lowercase). Again, you must set this in your app’s code.
- Recipient name: the user attribute you are using to store the user’s name. Defaults to blank.
With the Leanplum default settings, here is how an email would look to your users.
With a few quick changes (adding a custom sender name and email), emails would look like this.
You can check to see how many valid email addresses you have in Leanplum by:
- Going to the User Dashboard
- Click the Add Segment dropdown
- Select User Attribute
- Select the attribute for email
If no user attribute for email shows up, you'll need to modify your app's code to send Leanplum your users' email addresses as a user attribute. Your app must send email addresses as a user attribute, preferably titled "email" (lowercase), for the Email feature to work.
- Click the operator is and select contains from the operator dropdown
- Change the value to "@"
- Click Search